BOWbutton

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Spokesman

A friend of mine had a very interesting observation which he shared regarding the spokesman of Joseph Smith.  He gave me permission to share it here:

---------------------------------- <<Start>> ------------------------------

In 2 Nephi 3:18 Lehi receives this promise:

"And the Lord said unto me also: I will raise up unto the fruit of thy loins; and I will make for him a spokesman. And I, behold, I will give unto him that he shall write the writing of the fruit of thy loins, unto the fruit of thy loins; and the spokesman of thy loins shall declare it."

Seems clear that the “writing of the fruit of (Lehi’s) loins” is the Book of Mormon.  So, the one raised up must be Joseph Smith.  Denver has made this point.  The question follows then, who is the spokesman?  The word spokesman appears twice in the D&C, both times in reference to Sidney Rigdon:

And it is expedient in me that you, my servant Sidney, SHOULD BE a spokesman unto this people; yea, verily, I WILL ordain you unto this calling, even to be a spokesman unto my servant Joseph.
And I will give unto him power to be mighty in testimony.
And I will give unto thee power to be mighty in expounding all scriptures, that thou MAYEST BE a spokesman unto him, and he shall be a revelator unto thee, that thou MAYEST know the certainty of all things pertaining to the things of my kingdom on the earth.
 (Doctrine and Covenants, 100:9-11)

In this verse the language regarding Sidney is subjunctive.  Sidney is called, but must make good on the calling.  The language regarding Joseph is unequivocal.  By 1841 Sidney had served many times as a spokesman for Joseph and to the Gentile followers. But, he had apparently not yet not become the spokesman he had been called to become.

And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant Sidney will serve me and be counselor unto my servant Joseph, let him arise and come up and stand in the office of his calling, and humble himself before me.
And if he will offer unto me an acceptable offering, and acknowledgments, and remain with my people, behold, I, the Lord your God, will heal him that he shall be healed; and he shall lift up his voice again on the mountains, and be a spokesman before my face.
Let him come and locate his family in the neighborhood in which my servant Joseph resides.
And in all his journeyings let him lift up his voice as with the sound of a trump, and warn the inhabitants of the earth to flee the wrath to come.
Let him assist my servant Joseph....in making a solemn proclamation unto the kings of the earth, even as I have before said unto you.
If my servant Sidney will do my will, let him not remove his family unto the eastern lands, but let him change their habitation, even as I have said.
Behold, it is not my will that he shall seek to find safety and refuge out of the city which I have appointed unto you, even the city of Nauvoo.
Verily I say unto you, even now, if he will hearken unto my voice, it shall be well with him. Even so. Amen.
(Doctrine and Covenants 124:103-110)

Sydney did, however, remove his family to the “eastern lands,” and did not remain with the Lord’s people.  Between Jan 1841 and October 1843 Sidney's participation in church administrative affairs was minimal. He lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania against the will of The Lord. By October 1843, Joseph attempted to replace Sidney in a special conference called to consider "the case and standing of Elder Sidney Rigdon". There were many allegations against him leveled by Joseph and others mostly related to communication with apostates like Bennett and even allegations of trying to get Joseph arrested.

So, did Sidney rise to the calling to which The Lord called him? We are currently inclined to conclude, NO, he did not.  His service was lackluster at best and apostate at worst during the years between the D&C 124 revelation and Joseph's death in June of 1844.  Nevertheless, just as Moses was given a spokesman in Aaron, the latter-day seer that brought forth the writing of the fruit of Lehi's loins would be given a spokesman – The Lord has said it would be so.

If Sidney failed in his calling, would the Lord have a “work-around” plan?  Did the Prophet’s spokesman necessarily have to be a contemporary?  If a man living today were in contact with heaven, and privy to the mind and counsel of the prophet Joseph, could he still act as Joseph’s spokesman?  Would such a man defend the prophet's honor, emphasize the Book of Mormon, and move heaven and earth to ensure the restoration does not fail?

---------------------------------------- << END >> ------------------------------------

To me, there is a person today that fits the description of the last few lines in this quote:  it is Denver Snuffer.  Even more important than being a spokesman for Joseph Smith; his message points those who receive it to the Savior.

2 comments:

  1. But Denver must be seed of Joseph and Lehi, this would be an indigineous person of North America, in my opinion. But I think Denver is an excellent spokesman for Joseph but the choice seer is not Joseph Smith as his genealogy is accounted for and he is not seed of Lehi aka, the Remnant of Jacob (native american) as they will clarify the true points of doctrine D&C 10:62...interesting to ponder...Great blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am curious as to why you feel the spokesman must be a descendant of both Joseph and Lehi.

      Delete