BOWbutton

Friday, June 12, 2015

Re-baptism: My own experience and witness


In one of the study and reading groups I joined in the fall of 2013, a discussion of re-baptism was brought up. As I read through the posts and ideas, I also came across these comments on a post regarding baptism in 3 Nephi 11 on Denver Snuffer's blog:


“A few posts back there was a comment about what a burden it would be for "the church" and "the priesthood" if people seek re-baptism to renew commitments. It was made as we approached Christ's teachings on baptism. The comment was so immediate and so dark in tone and content it has caused me rethink the importance of this idea. Anytime an idea is confrontational and dark, I pause to consider why that is so. Here's what now occurs to me. What a terrible burden it would be to depart this life without the ordinance of baptism properly performed, by proper authority, in the proper manner, with repentance preceding the event. I would not want a dark and troubled soul to perform baptism for anyone, but a person filled with joy, hope and the Spirit, having a testimony in Christ like Nephi. These people would not find performing such an ordinance troubling.

If there is a hint of doubt held by any baptized member of the church, why would any right-thinking and charitable soul refuse them the right to be re-baptized? Now, I've suggested the Alma exception and how that might be accomplished in a time of reluctance and resistance to recommitment baptism. But it occurs to me upon further reflection that since the church doesn't recognize or record rebaptisms anyway, why would this concern the "heavy laden priesthood" which has no time for such things? Anyone holding authority, at any place where there is sufficient water to perform the rite, could accomplish it. Since the church doesn't record it, there is no need of witnesses. It could be done in private, at any time, or any place with sufficient water. It could be done by any person holding the office of Priest. It would be good practice for future missionaries if they were given the opportunity. I think the idea is one which ought to be acted upon with regularity, in private and without troubling the busy and overburdened church and priesthood. A close family member could take care of it, and I suspect all involved will soon recognize heaven's approval of the idea.”
Did I have a hint of doubt about my baptism? Yes, and for numerous reasons. One of which was that I remember at age 8 not feeling like I received a confirmation of the spirit afterward. I never received the baptism of fire. I remember during those first years after being baptized at the age of 8 that I felt I didn't receive the Holy Ghost due to my own unworthiness. I felt I had been baptized unworthily although I could not pinpoint exactly why I was in that state. My conclusion was simply based on not feeling I had received the Holy Ghost. It troubled me a lot.

It didn't occur to me until many years later after reading about changes made by Heber J. Grant in 1921 such that priesthood was no longer conferred during ordination and how that likely would have affected my priesthood line of authority that my baptism may not have been done with authority. I wasn't convinced of this idea, however. My father had been a bishop and served in a stake presidency. My grandfather had been a stake patriarch. Certainly they would have had priesthood authority. Both had always been great examples to me of faithfulness and righteousness. Both had lived lives of dedication to the church. Nonetheless, there remained a hint of doubt.

So towards the end of 2013 and the beginning of 2014, I would often include a question while praying regarding how the Lord felt about a desire I had to be baptized again. Part of that desire was to recommit myself to the Lord. Part of that desire was because I wasn't completely sure about the first one.

One morning, early in January or February of 2014, I was praying and asking about the Lord's will regarding re-baptism again. After my prayer, I rose up and opened up the scriptures. The first verse that I happened upon that morning was D&C 39:10:

Section 39
10. But, behold, the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known.

When I read this verse, I felt the Spirit rush in and confirm to me that this was an answer to my prayer.  I felt a great feeling of joy from having received this confirmation.

This answered one question. I knew the Lord was OK with and even wanted me to go ahead with re-baptism, but I didn't know logistically how it would happen. This was especially difficult because I knew the church generally did not approve of re-baptism. Who could I ask? How could I be sure that they had authority? Where would we do the baptism?

I started praying on these questions. Most often, I felt like the answer came to wait and the way would be prepared and opened up. So for the next 7 months I waited and watched to see how the opportunity would present itself. Of course, I didn't know when it would happen so all I could do was wait and hope that soon an answer would come as to how to proceed.

On September 9th, 2014 I received the next part of that answer. The tenth and final talk was given in Phoenix by Denver Snuffer. In this talk, the following was given:

Baptism has always been required from the days of Adam until the present. Baptism is always the sign of acceptance of what God is doing in each generation. If He acts again now (and He is), then we need to recognize that and respond. Baptism is a mandatory sign of penitence; turning and facing God, and then walking in a new path. From the days of Adam, it will continue through the end of the millennium. Whenever there has been believing people upon the earth, they have always been invited to perform the ordinance of baptism as a sign of their faith."

How then does the authority to baptize come? Well, once John the Baptist came and laid his hand on Joseph, we have had a practice of continuing to lay hands on one another to confer Aaronic Priesthood, and we ought to continue to respect that tradition. But before any of you baptize any other of you, get Christ’s “word” for yourself through the Spirit. It is the same thing Alma did in Mosiah chapter 18. If you go to Mosiah chapter 18, verse 12, before he baptized, Alma "stood forth in the water, and cried, saying: O Lord, pour out thy Spirit upon thy servant, that he may do this work with holiness of heart. And when he had said these words, the Spirit of the Lord was upon him."
He got the authority to baptize by the Spirit. If you are going to use the priesthood to perform a baptism, no matter what the Church has told you, no matter what quorum leaders and respected others, including your own father perhaps, have taught you, before you do so, ask God to give you the authority. Get the “word” from Christ through the Spirit, just as Alma did. His example is in the scriptures to teach us the way. We have lost it, and need to reclaim it. If you get power to baptize, you get it from Him and you are not dependent on someone else. But get the power from Him. Power is required. It must come from Christ. The pattern must be followed.”

...

I am telling you in the name of the Lord that commandment is renewed again by Him today, to you. This is His command recorded in the Book of Mormon, translated by Joseph Smith through the gift and power of God, and confirmed again today!”

When I received these words, I felt the spirit once again confirm to me that this was the Lord's will for me and that this was a fulfillment of the whisperings that told me that the way would be opened up.

The way was opened up for me to do as the Lord had commanded me. On September 20, 2014, I renewed my covenants with the Lord and witnessed unto Him that I had received His invitation by being baptized. In my mind and heart also, I used this as a chance to be “baptized unto repentance” as the phrase is often used in the Book of Mormon.

My witness is that the baptism bore fruit. Within weeks of having received the baptism, I felt that I received on two occasions what has been termed in the scriptures as the baptism of fire as was promised to those who follow Christ and receive His baptism with power and authority.

The main fruit has been the changes to my heart. I believe I have become more patient, less contentious, a bit less selfish, and more willing to reach out, love, and give to others. My desires have changed as well. Many things related to the natural man no longer hold the same sway or influence within me. They have lost their appeal. I have felt a more consistent and stronger desire to spend my time seeking to come to my Savior and seeking for the welfare of my family and my friends.


Have I become perfect. No. I still make mistakes. I still recognize that I am weak and it is often brought to my attention by the Spirit how I must continue rely on my Savior day to day. I still have much to learn. My testimony is simply that because I followed this commandment, I have been given more grace and received a witness through the fruit that followed that I acted in accordance with God's will for me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment